Monday, March 10, 2008

Changes

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life..." What a load of cliché tripe.

Today I joined the ranks of the unemployed. I have been here a few times before but this time is different. This time I was laid off, on good terms, from the best job I have had to date, I have debt up to my eyeballs, the economy sucks, inflation is on the rise, and somehow, I am not worried. I know I should be but this is the most prepared I have ever been. I left DOYLES on good terms and was given fair treatment considering the circumstances. I harbor nothing but fond memories of that job. I have an insane amount of experience and skills in my field. I have options. I have hope.

The question arises though, do I go it alone? Should I use my skills as an independent contractor, braving the bumpy but possibly very profitable ride of the entrepreneur? Should I take the "safe" less profitable route and get a regular 8-5 job with the semi-guarantee that I will have that job next week? I am not sure. I should be scared out of my mind by that but I am not. Maybe I've gone nuts. Time will tell. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: