Friday, February 10, 2006

Of Wolf and Man

The other night Tiff, Denise, Arika, and I all went out for coffee. Then we went to chill at Heritage Park which is a collection of restored historical homes surrounding a beautiful rose garden. We spread out sleeping bags and relaxed, sharing stories and Tiff's book of poetry.

Before I go further, Heritage Park is a place where the paranormal is quite active. The historical homes there are teeming with, well, afterlife. This can lead to some deep conversation for those of us more sensitive to these things. All present that night happen to be very sensitive.

Discussion turned to wolves. You see, I have a bit of an obsession with wolves. Native American tribes might have called it my totem or spirit guide. I have always loved these beautiful hunters. For me my connection goes deeper though. You see I once went on a vision quest. Now it is story time with Mike:
Years ago I lived in Utah out on the Wasatch Front. It was late spring and the weather was spectacular. I decided to go camping in the forests near my home in Pason on the south end of the Wasatch Front. I took minimal provisions including a hunting knife and warm clothing. I took no tent, little extra food, and a canteen.

I fasted for three days and spent much of my time in meditation. I stayed near a small stream in a clearing where I could watch the sun set and see the valley below. On the third day as I meditated I grew weak with hunger. As I opened my eyes from meditation I heard quiet footsteps off to my right coming out of the trees.

As my eyes scanned the woods, I saw a Timber Wolf slowly emerging from the trees. I stayed motionless as he moved closer until we were face to face. He looked me in the eye for a moment that seemed like years. I could feel his breath.

Slowly he left my little clearing, going back the way he came. Stopping once to look back at me and then disappearing into the woods forever.
I truly believe that each person has an inner animal, totem, or spirit guide that molds who they are. I am a wolf. My wife is a cat. Denise, is a fellow wolf. Still not 100% sure about Arika. What is your inner beast?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I be a lemur?

Unknown said...

Original King Julian say, "I love how all girls a move their body, and when ya move ya body, and move it, all nice and sweet and sassy, alright!" Sorry, lemurs always make me think of Madagascar...

Angel, I think the cat would be fitting for you although I'm not sure which breed.

And for those wondering which breed of wolf I am, it is Timber Wolf.

Anonymous said...

It's spelled Arika and well I umm don't know my inner beast. If you go on the urban totems of the book Urban Primitive, I'm very much a mouse. When I was all into Wicca and stuff I had a thing with Raven but I was also very Cat. I've changed since then so yeah. I have no clue.

Unknown said...

I have now updated the post with the correct spelling of Arika. Sorry for that.

I do think it quite normal to feel strong ties to many animals. I also feel connected to the eagle. When my rage boils near the surface I feel it tied to the tiger.

Anonymous said...

ha, i didn't even know about this post til arika told me. what a kick ass night. and, as i probably mentioned, i'm so a wolf, but also a dog. just depends on what's needed at the time. either way, it's all about my pack. ...we totally need more nights like that. when it's not so damned cold.

JC said...

Nobody ever comes back from a vision quest and says "I spoke to my inner mealworm."

For the record, I am a duckbilled platypus.

Anonymous said...

I was once told I was feline (looking) ... I feel like a two toed sloth some days.

seriously... I always felt horse-ish. and not the tame kind either... like the mustang or arabian. I've never really done much reading up on it, but Id love to explore that part of my spirituality

and btw that night at heritage park left me feeling so centered that I didnt completely lose it the next day. I can credit that place and the company i kept for keeping me sane the next day... Hey, i didnt get arrested and that is a feat when dealing with people like that.

next time... it will hopefully be warmer...

I like to move it move it