Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas from your friendly neighborhood Atheist

I know, strange words to hear from an atheist. One might instead expect a, "Bah, humbug!" So why would an ardent critic of all religion be wishing you a Merry Christmas?

Before my parents get their hopes up, I still don't believe in God or that he had a son. What I do believe in is the power of the Christ story to bring out the best and worst in society. At Christmas time, through all of the bustle and road rage, I witness small, unselfish acts that remind us of what the Christ story was supposed to be about.

As you gather with friends and family this holiday, no matter what your belief system is, take some time out to do at least one small, selfless thing for someone in your life. Whether to "glorify your God" or simply to improve the species, do something to ensure we all have a merry Christmas.

No comments: